The ULTIMATE Gamble . . .

The hospital has warned me, in anticipation of my kidney transplant, that I can start to receive calls from the hospital to come to Toronto eventually. 

It would go like this . . .

I would get a call, rush to Toronto – St. Michael’s Hospital – and there two other people and myself would be tested against an awaiting kidney. So, basically I’ll have a 33.33% chance of having a kidney transplant that day . . . depending on who matches best with the harvested organ. Who ever matches best gets it.

Frankly, it’s a gamble I am excited to take. Thrilled to take!!Image

The other day I drove to Toronto with my Dad. As we talked and listened to music I couldn’t help but think about the day I would be making that drive to take my odds. The idea was always at the back of my mind.

How it would feel to get the call from St. MIke’s.

To put the phone down and get in the car and start that trip.

It stresses me out from now!!!

(That good stress where you’re heart races and you can’t stop smiling . . . but stress none-the-less.)

It’s also occurred to me that perhaps I shouldn’t drive when that occasion arrives.

I remember the last time I got that call to come to the hospital and get a kidney. The year was 1996 and I was living in Montreal at the time. I was a wreck. I was so excited and nervous and overwhelmed that I couldn’t focus. Probably not the state to face the 401 highway in. 

I have a while to go before I start getting those calls. The first hurdle is getting back on the transplant list . . . which I anticipate will happen later on this year. (Don’t worry I will make an announcement when that day happens!!)

I’ll explain why I was taken off the list in another blog post too. There is too much there to tack it onto todays blog.

Anyway, know you’ll be there with me, via blog updates, when I get that call and start making those trips. Hopefully it will be just ONE trip (with the odds in my favour) but I will make that trip as many times as necessary to get my shot at a new life.

I am so thankful to have this life-saving option . . . I can be patient and wait. 



This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s