Initial Impression of NxStage at home . . .
I have been home, with my NxStage machine, since March 25th.
So far I really like it. It has definitely improved my quality of life . . . with the possibility of even further improvement in the future when Canada passes more NxStage features. (I’ll write more about that later).
Here are the disadvantages:
1. I’ve had a little nausea and stomach pain as my body adjusts to the machine – as it’s a different dialysis system. These symptoms are diminishing over time. It is manageable.
Here are the advantages:
1. It is a lot easier for me to set up. I no longer feel dread about getting on the machine because of set up.
2. Less things can go wrong with set-up and while I’m on the machine – as it’s a more simple system. That gives me peace of mind.
3. I have way less supplies in my 2 bedroom apartment. I am able to store everything in my closet.
4. There is a 24 hour NxStage “help line” for technical support that I can call when I’m having issues. I have used it a few times and it’s been wonderful to have this help. This is a huge stress reliever for me . . . knowing that I always have someone to speak to.
Bonus . . . if I would like to move to a new apartment I can do so without incurring the costs of installing hospital grade electric and special plumbing. The NxStage machine does not need it.
Future Bonuses . . . eventually I will be able to travel with this machine!! And in the future, with access to the latest software, my sessions may be shorter too. (Right now I do five dialysis sessions a week between 3 hours and 20 minutes to 4 hours each).
Overall, I am thrilled to have this choice. I appreciate the ways my life has improved and I look forward to further improvement – like travel.
Again, my decision to use NxStage is not because I believe one system is better than another. I do not believe in pitting NxStage and Fresenius and Baxter against each other helps the people living with Chronic Kidney Disease. I believe that having choice, each patient deciding what is best for them, will lead to the best outcomes for patients,